Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2013

'Kimmy' & 'Tanzy' by Zoya, 'Moonlit Dance' by Sally Hansen's Diamond Strength line

Whew!  What a weekend, I tell ya.  Between taking (and passing!) my Basic Rider Course and a failed attempt at finding some not-dried-up river to float down on the fourth, I managed to rock my remaining two Zoya colors from my first Zoya order a couple weeks ago.  I've also decided to compare the orange Zoya shade with an orange I bought from the Diamond Strength Sally Hansen line about a year ago, when this nail polish spending spree of mine was just starting out.

Let's start with the red, shall we?

Photo take in sunlight

How: Two coats of 'Kimmy' by Zoya with one coat of Insta-Dri Clearly Quick.  Picture appears a little more orange-y than in real life; according to Zoya's website, it's a candy apple red, and I agree with that description.  I will say it appeared lighter in person than what my computer screen shows me on their site, but that's not a bad thing.  Color went on super easily and evenly.

Verdict:  I much prefer this red to Zoya's 'Nidhi' from last weekend.  The finish was smoother, no physical texture whatsoever, but had good depth with its metallic glittery-gold sheen.  A definite keeper, and I'm so glad I fought the urge to try on my orange shade first this weekend, because Kimmy was perfect for getting into the 4th of July holiday spirit!

Photo taken in sunlight

How: Three coats of 'Tanzy' by Zoya, one coat of Ista-Dri Clearly Quick, and a couple of drops per nail of Nicole by OPI's Dry Drops.  I probably could've called it good with two coats of Tanzy, but I love me some good vibrant orange, so I went with three.  Color went on easily and evenly.

Verdict: I really dug the formula on Tanzy, and it's another great shade to look at with tons of gold sparkle to add interest.  Unfortunately, depsite the fact that I finally motivated myself enough to use an actual camera to take this photo instead of my usual iPhone shot, I did a poor job of capturing the sparkle effect that makes this orange so awesome.  Oranges often walk a fine line of bordering on Halloween-y, but in my opinion, Tanzy can be worn whenever.  I wasn't self conscious wearing this at all this weekend, and in fact, it's almost a flashy version of Harley Davidson orange, which I thought was fitting when I went out to look at a used Harley as my first bike yesterday (I'll let you know how that story goes).

And now for our orange comparison...


Photo taken in overcast sunlight

How: Two coats of Sally Hansen's Diamond Strength 'Moonlit Dance' and one coat of Insta-Dri Clearly Quick.  Polish went on easily and mostly evenly, although a little finagling was necessary, as it seemed a little thick at times.

Verdict: You may not be able to tell, because I used my iPhone for this photo (yes, I've learned my lesson: use your good camera when taking nail polish photos), but Moonlit Dance is pretty much identical to Tanzy.  The difference is in the formula.  Although Moonlit Dance offered impressive opacity in two coats (as opposed to Tanzy's three), I abhorred it's consistency and the texture of the finish.  It's not supposed to be a textured polish as far as I'm aware, but it seemed... almost gritty.  No me gusta.  Getting rid of this one, since I believe Tanzy to be a good enough dupe that I like much more.

As far as removal for all of above polishes, all are somewhat a pain to remove.  The Zoyas' sparkle is stubborn as a mule, but the Diamond Strength was extra gritty  and thick, which made my fingers sore after during what I have dubbed the Great Removal Effort of 2013.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment